Party to raise funds for autistic kids

Ariana Angel likes to line her teddy bears up in a row in the middle of her room.

The 5-year-old won't eat anything gooey, sticky or wet. She's a voracious reader who memorized "Goodnight Moon" after hearing her dad read it once, but she sometimes has trouble remembering not to tear up her books when she's done with them.

A high-functioning autistic child, Ariana was diagnosed with the disorder at 2-and-a-half years old.

"She's an incredible kid," said her dad, Josh Angel. "She has her own way of thinking and understanding things, and it's frustrating for her when we can't understand what she's trying to say."

Angel, 32, is the organizer of the Angels & Devils Autism Fundraiser Dance and Costume Party on Oct. 28 at 7:30 p.m. at the Gainesville Dance Association hall, 308 W University Ave.

The evening will begin with a $5 dance lesson from professional swing dancer Patti Jobst.

At 8:30 p.m., two dance floors will open. Angel will be playing West Coast swing music on the main floor, and DJ Chad "Big Daddy" Young will be playing a mix of Latin, ballroom and swing music on the second floor.

A minimum donation of $10 is required to attend, and all proceeds will go to the UF Center for Autism and Related Disabilities.

CARD provides free services such as consultation, training and referrals for parents and caregivers of children with autism.

Cathy Zenko, coordinator for education and training programs at CARD, said Angel's event couldn't have come at a better time as the center received a 20 percent budget cut this year and is expecting another 10 percent cut in 2012.

"Fundraisers have become critical to us now," she said. "They're really keeping us afloat so we don't have to go to more drastic measures like cutting staff."

The dance party is part of a larger initiative to give back to CARD, Angel said.

He has teamed with the SunShine Eagles Club to create monthlong fundraisers throughout October to benefit the center.

The total amount raised will be sent to the club's national headquarters in Ohio, where Angel said he hopes the donation will be matched.