<p>Florida guard Jaterra Bonds ranked second on the Gators with 9.9 points per game last season, but has struggled early on this year.</p>

Florida guard Jaterra Bonds ranked second on the Gators with 9.9 points per game last season, but has struggled early on this year.

When Jaterra Bonds’ shots fail to fall, the turnovers become more noticeable.

Bonds has seven giveaways — three more than any other Gator — to go along with a team-worst .111 shooting percentage in Florida’s first two games this season.

In last season’s opener against UCF, she turned the ball over seven times, but 15 points and a double-digit margin of victory made her blemishes easier to overlook.

“I’ve got to just stick to the basics with my shot,” Bonds said. “I just go back and think about what I didn’t do when I shot and if I rushed or if I forced it.”

Bonds was named to the Southeastern Conference All-Freshman team last season after a breakout performance for the Gators.

She ranked second on UF with 9.9 points and 2.5 assists per game, playing an average of 27.1 minutes per contest.

Particularly promising was her offensive surge at the end of the 2010-11 campaign.

Bonds averaged 14.9 points per contest in Florida’s final eight games, scoring a career-high 23 in the season-ending 81-77 overtime loss to Charlotte in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament.

Unfortunately for the Gators, Bonds’ hot streak did not carry into the season opener.

In Friday’s loss to Michigan, she shot 2 of 15 from the field, including a 1-for-6 performance from beyond the arc, with the lone make coming at the buzzer.

She also recorded just two assists and committed three turnovers in 31 minutes on the floor.

“She took a lot of shots that both of us agreed were not really good shots,” coach Amanda Butler said.

“It’s tough when you’re a playmaker and a scorer … to sometimes just try not to make plays if it’s the best decision.”

Bonds’ performance against Stetson didn’t fare much better.

Hampered by foul trouble, Bonds attempted a career-low three shots Monday, scoring only four points with one assist and four turnovers in 25 minutes.

According to senior guard Jordan Jones, Bonds has spent extra time watching film with Butler to pinpoint where she needs to improve offensively.

“She took some questionable shots that we saw and she just needs to let the game come to her,” Jones said. “In practice, she’s not struggling … (her) shots are going to fall.”

Despite stumbling out of the gate, Bonds’ progression between her first two games has encouraged Butler.

Florida (1-1) hopes that progress will continue when it faces No. 21 Florida State (2-1) today at 5:30 p.m. in the O’Connell Center.

“One of the things I’ve really asked her to do is to not evaluate her success based on her scoring,” Butler said.

“(She should) evaluate her success based on the way she’s playing defense, the way she’s leading our team and the decisions she’s making.”