If you have not seen a "Coexist" bumper sticker with the letters composed of different religious symbols, you have probably never been on or around UF's campus.

But are the people who proudly flaunt these hopes for peace and harmony just really optimistic? Can individuals with radically different worldviews still cooperate in a modern society?

Most would agree that in theocratic or authoritarian regimes, this sort of tolerance or coexistence is virtually impossible. If the people living in these regimes do not find opposing viewpoints offensive, the governments certainly do.

But what about Western democracies?

Despite the political squabbles that occur during each election year, most people seem to get along just fine regardless of their ideologies or religious beliefs. Issues like abortion and evolution do not seem to cause huge uproars, despite strong opinions on both sides.

Well, it would seem that way.

Biology and premed students at the University College London in England have been boycotting lectures about Darwinist theory and evolution. What has offended these students?

Natural selection, according to the Islamic students who are protesting the theory, does not align with the teachings of the Quran, and the students do not think they should have to listen to them.

But why are these students studying biology in the first place? Biology is a science that significantly conflicts with their religious teachings. In fact, if the scriptures of any religion are taken as the "word of God," they will significantly contradict modern scientific findings.

For instance, according to National Geographic, the great flood that occurred in the story of Noah and the Ark likely wasn't so great after all, with sea levels rising only about 30 feet rather than the hundreds of feet depicted in the Bible.

Of course, creationism or Noah's Ark are seen by believers as matters of faith, not confined by the realm of science.

That's fine. You have the right to believe whatever you want.

But are these "matters of faith" compatible with modern scientific thought? Can one claim to be a true believer of these revelations while still accepting scientific theories?

These Islamic students are almost commendable for standing up for their beliefs and boycotting teachings that contradict their faith.

They appear to have the characteristics of true believers.

But one cannot say the same for the religious in the United States who rarely put up a fight when their beliefs are challenged by science or evidence.

Perhaps coexistence is possible, but it appears that one really has to sacrifice his or her strong religious convictions in order to tolerate opposing views.