Grooveshark will hire about 15 people before New Year's.

352 Media Group will hire about 12 people during the next two months.

Trendy Entertainment is hiring, too.

In a down economy, some students turn their gaze outside of Gainesville for jobs. But between the Innovation Gainesville economic development plan and local hiring sprees, there are possible signs that the technology industry in Gainesville is growing.

Mark Rush, UF economics professor, said Gainesville's economy has long relied on the university, the Shands health system and the county seat. It's possible, he said, the technology industry is Gainesville's next big industry, although only time will tell whether it will define the city.

"People are moving that direction," Rush said. "So the jobs are going to follow."

The signs of growth come in a year when several businesses in Gainesville have closed due to the economy, including Gator Dawgs, Borders and Blockbuster.

Bookstores have to compete with Amazon, Rush said. DVD stores have to compete with online movie sites. Restaurants come and go all the time.

Rush said companies like YouTube and Facebook are doing extremely well.

"All those places are growing and hiring like crazy," he said. "The hiring will follow the success of the company."

Numerous other Gainesville technology-based businesses are starting to emerge, including RoomSync, Niche Mobile and Puppy Punch Productions.

Agapitus Benjamin Lye, CEO of Trendy Entertainment, said he works hard to make his company a place people want to work.

Trendy Entertainment released its newest game, "Dungeon Defenders," in October. As of Tuesday, it was rated as the fifth top-selling game on Steam, a digital distribution site.

Peter Van Rysdam, chief marketing officer and co-founder of 352 Media Group, said Gainesville's young culture has helped companies like his take off.

He said the city has big-city resources and small-town connections.

"We have some of the best of both worlds," he said.

Josh Greenberg, CTO and cofounder of Grooveshark, said the city has been a great place to start his business.

"Gainesville has a lot going for it. It's young. It's healthy," Greenberg said. "The business community is growing and thriving, even though some businesses have gone under."