<p>M. Jack Ohanian, former associate dean for research and administration and professor of nuclear and radiological engineering, 78, died Monday.</p>

M. Jack Ohanian, former associate dean for research and administration and professor of nuclear and radiological engineering, 78, died Monday.

M. Jack Ohanian, former associate dean for research and administration and a professor of nuclear engineering at UF, died Monday.

He was 78 years old.

His family had not released the cause of death at press time.

Ohanian, who retired in 2001, was a professor emeritus of nuclear and radiological engineering and a passionate supporter of nuclear power.

During his nearly 40 years at UF, Ohanian served as interim vice president for research and interim dean of engineering.

He was also the former chairman for the American Association of Engineering Societies and former president of the American Nuclear Society.

Win Phillips, an engineering professor and senior vice president for research, worked with Ohanian at UF for more than 15 years.

Phillips said he and Ohanian worked together in the research and engineering departments.

"He was a kind man," he said. "He cared about everyone else, but he was firm. He was a good administrator, and he was a good leader.

"He was a very important person to this university, and we'll all miss his leadership."