University Police are investigating the rape of a UF student early Tuesday morning and searching for the man responsible.

UPD released a composite sketch of the man Tuesday evening. A woman who picked up the student as she was running from the man helped police develop the sketch, said Maj. Brad Barber, UPD public information officer.

The suspect is black, has a thin build and is between 5 feet 10 inches and 6 feet tall. He appears to be in his late 20s to early 30s and had a beard when the woman saw him Tuesday morning, according to a UPD news release. He was last seen wearing jean shorts, a red shirt and a baseball cap.

At about 2:13 a.m. Tuesday, the woman called UPD to report that a half-hour earlier she had picked up the female student who had been attacked, according to a UPD news release. The man briefly chased the woman's car after they began to drive away from the area near Fraternity Row and West Fraternity Row. He then left the area on foot.

Afterward, the woman drove the student to the emergency room at Shands at UF.

The student told police she had accepted a ride from the man chasing her, whom she didn't know, after she left 101 Cantina in midtown, according to the news release.

She said he sexually battered her inside the car someplace between the bar and Fraternity Row.

She then fled from the car.

UPD increased patrols in the area and searched for the man, but police didn't find him, Barber said.

Anyone with information about the man's identity or the case can call UPD at 352-329-1111. To remain anonymous, those with information can call Crime Stoppers at 352-372-STOP.