Feds arrest Gainesville fugitive after two years

A former Gainesville man who fled Florida in 2009 after he was identified as a top cocaine trafficker was arrested in Rhode Island early Monday morning.

U.S. Marshals arrested Mario Ginorio, 30, in Coventry, R.I., according to a U.S. Marshals news release.

Marshals said he had a .357 Magnum handgun when he was arrested at his home.

Ginorio was wanted by the Levy County Sheriff's Office on a February arrest warrant for the trafficking and sale of cocaine.

The warrant was the result of a 2008 investigation by federal drug agents and the Levy County Sheriff's Office that led to the arrest and prosecution of more than 25 people on cocaine-related charges, according to the news release.

The investigation revealed that Ginorio had supplied cocaine to people in Alachua, Levy and Dixie counties.

Investigators learned that Ginorio had fled Florida and headed to Tennessee before moving to Rhode Island earlier this year, according to the release.

Deputy U.S. Marshal Bryon Carroll said Ginorio was taken to the Cranston, Rhode Island Adult Correctional Institution but will be extradited to Levy County to face his charges.