A Lake Butler man was arrested early Monday morning after deputies say he pointed a gun at his pregnant employer before shooting himself in the leg.

Dustin Mitchell McSpadden, 24, showed up at the home of a 32-year-old woman in the 2100 block of Northwest 101st Street at about 10 p.m. Sunday.

He had previously done maintenance work for her and asked if he could use her bathroom, said Sgt. Todd Kelly, Alachua County Sheriff's Office public information officer.

When he had been in the bathroom for about a half-hour, the woman knocked on the door.

She told officials she heard him say, "Don't worry. It will all be over soon," through the door.

When she opened the door, she saw McSpadden sitting on the toilet seat and snorting a powdery, white substance off of the back cover of the toilet, Kelly said.

McSpadden walked out of the bathroom and then into the woman's bedroom. He picked up her .40-caliber handgun from the nightstand and pointed it at her, again telling her it would all be over soon.

Then he shot himself in the leg.

She called 911 and ASO responded to the scene. McSpadden was arrested and taken to Shands at UF for medical treatment, Kelly said. Then he was sent to the Alachua County Jail.

Later, the woman called ASO and said she was missing $10,000-worth of jewelry - a report that was investigated throughout the day Monday.

McSpadden told officials he was in a romantic relationship with the woman and had become upset when he found out the baby she is pregnant with isn't his, Kelly said.

McSpadden has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

He was released from prison in October 2010 after spending four years there for aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, according to records from the Florida Department of Corrections.