Imported oranges to be tested for fungicide

Getting that daily dose of Vitamin C may cost a little more this month.

The Food and Drug Administration announced Jan. 9 it will test imported oranges for traces of a fungicide.

Although government officials are only testing foreign oranges, Florida citrus farmers expect consumers to be wary of all oranges.

"When you have less supply to meet the demand, the price usually rises in an effort to allow supply and demand to reach equilibrium," said Stephen Futch of the UF Citrus Research and Education Center.

Oranges are the third most-consumed fruit in America, and orange juice is the most consumed juice, according to the Department of Agriculture.

"Oranges are commodities. In theory, if the demand for orange juice remains the same following the FDA's newest restrictions, then the price may go up," Futch said.

Robert Sexton, owner of Oslo Citrus Growers Association in Vero Beach, said he believes the scare will end in 30 days, but consumers will have to pay more.

"It will put a focus on Florida, and prices will go higher in retail," he said.

Coca-Cola Co. reported to the FDA in December its orange juice, Minute Maid, tested positive for Carbendazim, a fungicide citrus farmers use to prevent mold.

Carbendazim is illegal in the United States but not in Brazil, said Ernie Neff, editor of Citrus Industry magazine.

Brazil is the world's largest producer of oranges, followed by Florida.

According to the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, 99 percent of Brazil's oranges are exported.

Neff said Carbendazim is not harmful in small amounts.

However, the fungicide can cause cancer and endocrine and reproductive problems in humans, according to pesticideinfo.org.