Rather than getting rattled by an unfamiliar Reynolds Coliseum crowd rooting for North Carolina State to pull off a colossal upset, Florida took care of business in its first meet of the season in Raleigh Friday night.

The Gators’ chemistry and consistency proved to be too much for the Wolfpack, as No. 3 Florida cruised past North Carolina State on the road to win with a final score of 196.025 to 194.675.

“I think they did a great job,” coach Rhonda Faehn said. “Our strategy this season is to really pace them, start out quite a bit slower than we ever have in the past, to compete a greater variety of athletes and to get our freshman out there to gain more experience. All of those things happened [Friday night].”

As one of four Gators making their collegiate debut, Kytra Hunter dazzled as an all-around competitor. Hunter, a freshman, who previously competed for the 2009-10 and 2010-11 U.S. Senior National Teams, hauled in 39.30 points to win the all-around title and also earned a meet-high 9.90 on floor exercise.

Hunter is the fourth Gator in 25 years to win an all-around title in a season opener. 

“I went out and showed my dance and my tumbling,” Hunter said. “It felt great to put the two together and the routine is more of my personality. I just had fun showing it off.”

Faehn said she enjoyed watching Hunter perform for the first time. 

“Everybody knows she’s one of the best tumblers in the world and, of course, one of the best tumblers in collegiate gymnastics,” Faehn said. “But for her to get out there and have a collegiate floor routine she can really [sell to the crowd] was the best part for me.” 

Juniors Marissa King and Ashanée Dickerson also excelled as all-around competitors, recording totals of 39.250. Both Gators shared the balance beam title with North Carolina State’s Jess Panza (9.825).

Sophomore Alaina Johnson snagged her sixth uneven bars title with a 9.875.

Overall, Florida won at least a share of four of the meet’s five event titles.

“We were very consistent [Friday night],” Faehn said. “Everyone was very focused, but at the same time, I felt they were very relaxed.”