How to pack like a pro: traveling tips

<p>Packing is a time-consuming job that takes careful planning, rearranging and patience.</p>

Packing is a time-consuming job that takes careful planning, rearranging and patience.

Everyone loves to travel, but let's be honest, no one really enjoys the art of packing. It's a time-consuming job that takes careful planning, rearranging and patience.

Thankfully, I've found some packing tips to make your time with the suitcase a little less stressful. So stop fearing the laundry and shoe pileup you have when travel time is near, and follow these steps for an organized suitcase.

1. Pack only what you can bring in a carry-on bag.

Sometimes, baggage gets lost during flights. It's unfortunate, but it happens. In order to avoid being without your clothes for a few days, downsize your wardrobe to fit in a single carry-on bag.

2. Pack neutral pieces of clothing.

Because you can't pack all of your favorite wardrobe staples, it's important to pack pieces that will complement everything. Neutral pieces are black, nude or white. Packing only these colors will give you the opportunity to wear the same clothes without it looking like you're wearing the same outfits.

3. Think about what you're packing.

When packing, ask yourself, "Do I really need this?" or "Will I actually wear this?" If you have to think about it for a few seconds, it's probably safe to say that you should leave it at home.

4. Don't fold — roll your clothing.

Because folding can cause wrinkles, try rolling up your clothing. This can also save some space, so maybe that extra pair of shoes can fit in there, too!

5. Prepare for all kinds of weather.

No matter where you're traveling to, it's always important to be ready for weather variation. Pack an umbrella, a light raincoat and shoes that will be OK if they get wet.

Posts in The Traveling Gator appear on Mondays.