Inter-Residence Hall Association hosts 20-vendor farmers market on North Lawn

<p>Robin Stahr sets up her table for the farmers market on the North Lawn near the Reitz Union on Friday. Stahr's business sells scones, jams, pickled vegetables, local honey and more.</p>

Robin Stahr sets up her table for the farmers market on the North Lawn near the Reitz Union on Friday. Stahr's business sells scones, jams, pickled vegetables, local honey and more.

Students flocked to the North Lawn on Friday afternoon for homemade food and locally made crafts at a farmers market.

About 20 vendors from Alachua County sold fresh produce, pastries and meat at the event hosted by UF's Inter-Residence Hall Association. Homemade preserves, $10 orchids and free henna were also available.

IRHA partnered with the High Springs Farmers Market, the Office of Sustainability, Department of Housing, Recreational Sports and Gator Dining Services.

About 420 people were members of the "UF Farmers Market" Facebook event, but IRHA Farmers Market director and 19-year-old environmental science sophomore Laura McCann said she didn't know how many people actually attended.

The farmers market could return several times each semester if students give positive feedback, said IRHA president and 20-year-old public relations junior Severin Walstad.

UF's Office of Sustainability will host the next farmers market, scheduled for April 6.

It will feature about 40 vendors, Walstad said, and IRHA will help with the event. UF is recognizing April 6 as Earth Day because April 22 falls during exams.

Jackie Pedota, a 20-year-old wildlife ecology and conservation junior, enjoyed the convenience of having the market on campus.

"I always wanted to go to the one in Bo Diddley, but it's too far," she said, referring to the Wednesday afternoon market in the downtown plaza. "I have class and no way of getting there."

She said she plans to take advantage of the next market.

Pedota purchased portobello mushrooms, oranges, carrots, green onions and jam for $19. She said she had never tried fresh jam and couldn't resist once she tasted Graham Farm's strawberry-mango flavor.

"The quality of the produce is so much better," she said. "[The farmers] make ties with people, so they keep coming back."