<p>An alleged snatch-and-run robbery suspect is searched while sitting south of Phelps Laboratory after being apprehended by Alachua County Sheriffs Office Wednesday night.</p>

An alleged snatch-and-run robbery suspect is searched while sitting south of Phelps Laboratory after being apprehended by Alachua County Sheriffs Office Wednesday night.

University Police arrested a suspect in a snatch-and-run robbery on campus near Rawlings Hall Wednesday night.

Police said the suspect was caught south of the Phelps Lab on Museum Road by UPD and an Alachua County Sheriff's Office K-9 unit. The 17-year-old suspect was charged with robbery by sudden snatching and resisting arrest with violence, said UPD spokesman Maj. Brad Barber

The suspect was arrested on suspicion of grabbing the keychain wallet of a UF senior who was near the intersection of Newell Drive and Inner Road with her boyfriend.

After the victim called 911, UPD created a perimeter around campus and was joined by Alachua County units. An officer spotted the suspect near the Astronomy Teaching Observatory and ran after him. The suspect struggled against officers who were trying to arrest him, Barber said.

The robbery occurred at 9:19 p.m., Barber said. He said there was no indication that the suspect had a weapon.

UF sent out an emergency alert by email and text message around 9:55 p.m. warning students of the incident. A follow-up message was sent when the suspect was caught around 10:20 p.m.

Campus was not closed at any time, Barber said.

"This was a very quick series of events that fortunately resulted in the arrest of the suspect," he said.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.