A Santa Fe College student was charged with animal cruelty, domestic battery and false imprisonment after trying to smother a cat and then trapping his girlfriend in a bathroom on Sunday, according to Gainesville Police.

Marvelle S. Rucker, 21, told officers he tried to kill his girlfriend's cat after it caused him to fail an online exam.

Rucker said he held a pillow over the cat and punched it.

Rucker and his girlfriend live together at The District on 62nd apartment complex, located at 1000 SW 62nd Blvd.

They have been dating for more than a year, according to police.

When his girlfriend arrived home from work around 4:50 p.m. Sunday, she found her cat to be lethargic and unresponsive.

Rucker cornered her in the bathroom, yelled at her and continually poked her in the face.

Rucker stood over her and yelled at her for about 15 minutes, according to police.

She finally escaped after another roommate stepped in.

Rucker told police he wasn't going to let his girlfriend leave the bathroom until he told her what he wanted to say. He also admitted to poking her in the face and said he didn't know that was a crime.

Rucker declined to comment Monday.