UF freshman Christie Fleeman and her three roommates arrived at their Beaty East apartment last fall, determined to make it as homey as possible.

Next fall semester, Fleeman, 18, may have to start over in Beaty West.

Fleeman, and about 377 other students living in Beaty East will not be able to continue living there during the 2012-13 academic year because it will house Innovation Academy students.

Innovation Academy is an enrollment model in which students attend classes on campus only during spring and summer semesters. The first Innovation Academy class will arrive in Spring 2013.

Fleeman said she did not know about the change until her housing sign-up date.

"I found out about the displacement because someone in my floor received an email and told us what was going to happen," she said.

Jennifer Todden, residence life coordinator for Beaty Towers and Jennings Hall, sent the email explaining the Innovation Academy program.

The Department of Housing and Residence Education held a Q&A session for residents, said Carolynn Komanski, assistant director of housing for administrative services.

Fleeman said she enjoys Beaty's central location and was upset when she found out about the changes.

"I was worried that because only one tower would be open there would not be enough rooms available," she said.

However, the news will not interfere with her future living arrangements.

"I kind of wanted to stay in my same room because I like the view," she said. "But it didn't really change my plans that much because I just decided to live in Beaty West."

Komanski said the Department of Housing and Residence Education assigned the Innovation Academy students to Beaty East on Dec. 16.

Current residents received displacement notices prior to room sign-up week.

Residents of Beaty East who re-applied for campus housing were given priority for room selection.

Beaty East will house overflow students with late application dates and students who sign contracts only for Fall 2012.

The Department of Housing and Residence Education hasn't determined if Beaty East will house students from Innovation Academy after 2013.

"The department will have to evaluate the success of the program and demand for student housing," Komanski said. "At this time we have not determined what facilities will be for Innovation Academy for 2014 and onward. However, we will house students for this new academic term."