Student Government candidates debate funding, representation and perks

<p>Students Party executive candidates Carly Wilson, Jesse Schmitt and Alex Cornillie, top, and Unite Party executive candidates Tj Villamil, Sabine Justilien and Juan Rodriguez, bottom, at the Student Government debate at the Reitz Union Amphitheater on Monday night.</p>

Students Party executive candidates Carly Wilson, Jesse Schmitt and Alex Cornillie, top, and Unite Party executive candidates Tj Villamil, Sabine Justilien and Juan Rodriguez, bottom, at the Student Government debate at the Reitz Union Amphitheater on Monday night.

The cold weather wasn't enough to stop heated comments at Monday night's Student Government debate.

About 300 people showed up at the Reitz Union Amphitheater for the debate hosted by the Freshman Leadership Council and the Hispanic Student Association.

Any candidate from each party could respond to the questions, but the presidential candidates, Alex Cornillie for the Students Party and Tj Villamil for the Unite Party, spoke the most.

Discussion topics included student involvement in the Florida Board of Governors, SG funding and perks for SG officials.

The parties had conflicting views about legislation that would decide whether the governor could appoint the student member of the Board of Governors.

"We think it takes power away from students," Cornillie said.

Villamil said the legislation is pro-UF and would benefit larger universities.

"It may take away democracy, but it takes out the politics," Villamil said.

Each party platform promotes expanding services to students, but Villamil said the Unite Party's platform points will not bring extra fees to students.

Students Party treasurer candidate Carly Wilson said student fees have risen 5 percent each year since she has been at the university.

The debate also discussed the perks that SG officials have, including parking passes and meal cards.

Wilson said her party's executives won't accept perks.

"I take my lunch to school every day," Wilson said. "That will not change if I get elected."

Unite Party vice presidential candidate Juan Rodriguez said these items are not perks but compensation for officials.

He said this compensation comes from outside revenue that is no cost to students.

He said the meal cards are for business purposes only, and the parking passes are to ensure that officials get to meetings on time to represent the Student Body.

The two parties agreed on the issue to stop the hiked tuition costs of STEM classes.