Task force meets to discuss anonymous reporting of hazing at University of Florida

<p>Bernard Mair, associate provost of undergraduate affairs, speaks at UF's anti-hazing task force meeting Monday afternoon.</p>

Bernard Mair, associate provost of undergraduate affairs, speaks at UF's anti-hazing task force meeting Monday afternoon.

Administrators discussed creating a way for students to anonymously report hazing incidents to authorities Monday.

UF’s anti-hazing task force met to consider the idea, as well as the idea of posting the history of proven hazing cases on the dean of students’ website.

Bernard Mair, associate provost of undergraduate affairs, said anonymous reporting would be useful because it would help students feel more comfortable with reporting hazing incidents.

“It’s not well-reported because victims fear retribution,” he said.

Chris Loschiavo, assistant dean of students and director of student conduct and conflict resolution, said the system might not fit well with procedures outlined in the Student Honor Code and Student Conduct Code.

“It will tie our hands in terms of being able to follow through for student conduct,” he said. “We won’t have anyone that the accused can confront, and our process currently provides for that right.”

He said the code could possibly be revised to include a provision that would allow for anonymous witnesses.

The task force also discussed creating a page on the dean of students’ website with the history of proven hazing cases for all student organizations.

Loschiavo said the list would include valid hazing charges, sanctions against the organization and the group’s status as a result of the hazing, as well as the group’s current status.

The information would be placed online permanently, regardless of the group’s current status.

Joey Flechas can be contacted at jflechas@alligator.org.