Actor, comedian Seth Meyers to perform stand-up Thursday night at University of Florida's Stephen C. O'Connell Center

Accent Speaker’s Bureau and Jewish Awareness Month are sponsoring an appearance by Saturday Night Live comedian Seth Meyers at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on Thursday at 8 p.m.

Meyers will receive $50,000 to perform stand-up comedy and answer questions from audience members.

Accent chairman Corey Portnoy said they decided on Meyers because he began his career in college and might be able to reach out to aspiring entertainers at UF.

“We also chose him because he is a head writer for ‘Saturday Night Live,’ which is a show that has had tremendous success for many years,” he said.

Tickets are not required for the free event. The doors will open at 7 p.m., and seating is first come, first served.

Mechanical engineering freshman Rachael Cain, 18, has been a fan of “SNL” since she snuck into her parents’ bedroom when she was 6 and caught a glimpse of Will Ferrell playing his cowbell.

She is also a fan of Meyers.

“He is so brilliant and witty, and I am just so excited,” she said. “I look up to Seth Meyers, and I want to know how he became so successful.”

The comedian and actor is best known for his role as head writer and “Weekend Update” anchor on “SNL.” He has also appeared in movies, hosted the 2010 and 2011 ESPY Awards on ESPN and served as a guest speaker at the 2011 White House Correspondents’ Dinner.