Former Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio speaks out to University of Florida students

Former Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio told students and Gainesville residents in a speech she gave Wednesday afternoon that everyone has the potential to be an effective leader.

“I think people really do have leadership within themselves,” she said. “You have to honestly look at your strengths and your weaknesses.”

About 70 people listened to her speech, “Straightforward: Becoming an Effective Leader,” at Oak Hammock at UF.

Iorio discussed her five principles of leadership: chart a course and bring people along, be passionate, have substance, live a centered life and treat everyone like they are important.

Courtney Allen, a 20-year-old telecommunication sophomore, said she enjoyed the speech about leadership principles because Iorio connected with the audience.

“I thought it was amazing,” she said. “She’s super, super nice.”

Iorio served from 2003-2011, and she was the second female mayor of Tampa.

Iorio said that to be an effective leader, you have to communicate with the audience and make concepts simple.

A one-cent tax for a transit system in Tampa did not pass because it was a complex topic, she said.

“We did not pass the simplicity test,” she said.

The event was co-sponsored by the Bob Graham Center for Public Service and the Reubin O’D. Askew Institute on Politics and Society.

Iorio’s speech came from her book, “Straightforward: Ways to Live and Lead.”

Iorio signed her book for people following the presentation, and about 20 people bought one.

Iorio said she is not sure if she will run for office again. She said she reached the limit of consecutive terms she can serve as mayor.

“It’s a little too early to see if I will go into public life again,” she said.