Letter to the Editor: Anti-choice group should redirect energy

This letter is addressed to the anti-choice bunch that makes its yearly rounds through the colleges and universities of our dear country. Because your goal is presumably to prevent the death of innocent unborn children, here are some suggestions for how your time and resources would be better spent in pursuit of that goal:

Work on improving women’s access to birth control. Birth control prevents unwanted pregnancies, therefore preventing abortions.

Fight for universal health care to guarantee prenatal health for women and health care for new mothers and newborn babies.

Fight for funding for programs such as WIC (a federal program that supplements food income for low-income pregnant women, new mothers and infants). This would be a great way to provide the safety net necessary to bring a new baby into the world.

Work toward providing free childcare for families. Many women may feel they are not ready to have a child because they might be the sole breadwinners in their household, and they simply can not afford to raise a child on their own. If our community offered childcare to all families, the decision to carry a pregnancy to term might be easier.

Help “Give Voice to the Voiceless” by campaigning for women running for Congress. Because pregnancy, motherhood and abortion are issues of concern to women, equal representation in Congress would be a wonderful step to further the policies listed above.

Thank you, and I hope you find our campus a hospitable and open-minded place to practice your freedom of speech.

Diana Moreno, UF alumna and proudly pro-choice