Students may face fees increase in fall if bill passes

Students may face higher fees starting in the fall if a bill being considered by the Florida Legislature passes.

On the last day of the 60-day legislative session, the lawmakers will vote on a bill that would grant each state university’s board of trustees the power to increase the Capital Improvement Trust Fund (CITF) fee by up to $2 per year.

Currently, students pay $2.44 per credit hour to contribute to the fund, which pays for student life facilities such as student unions, cafeterias and recreational fields. A $2.32 building fee also contributes to these projects.

Under the bill, the building and CITF fees would be merged into a single fee set at $4.76, which could then jump to $6.76, should the board of trustees approve it after a university committee comprised of administrators and students recommends the increase.

Under the scenario, a student taking 15 credits in the fall would pay $100.05 for the fee, an increase of nearly $30.

According to Kelly Layman, spokeswoman for the Board of Governors, the building and CITF fees were established at their current levels in 1988 and have not changed.