A nationwide search for the new vice president of student affairs ended where it began.

Dave Kratzer, who has served as the interim vice president for student affairs since April 1, 2011, was officially named to the position Friday.

“I am deeply honored to be given this opportunity,” Kratzer said. “I think it’s important — and our staff will remember every day — that student affairs begins with students.”

Kratzer took over the interim position after Patricia Telles-Irvin left UF last year to become the vice president for student affairs at Northwestern University.

In 1986, Kratzer joined UF as the director of the Reitz Union, according to his website. He served as the associate vice president for student affairs from 2005 to 2011.

Kratzer has advocated for campus projects that improve student welfare, including the expansion and renovation of the Reitz Union and the implementation of the “U Matter, We Care” campaign, which seeks to help students and faculty members in distress.

Student Body President Tj Villamil said Student Government is extremely pleased with the selection and believes Kratzer will continue to work well with the Student Body.

“It’s a great success for the students,” Villamil said.

Contact Erin Jester at ejester@alligator.org.