<p align="justify">Amie Buehler, a 23-year-old applied physiology and kinesiology senior and intern at Shands Fitness and Wellness Center, demonstrates how the Virtual Tour de Shands operates Wednesday afternoon.</p>

Amie Buehler, a 23-year-old applied physiology and kinesiology senior and intern at Shands Fitness and Wellness Center, demonstrates how the Virtual Tour de Shands operates Wednesday afternoon.

The Tour de France is coming to Gainesville, or at least to one of its gyms.

Shands Fitness and Wellness Center, located at 1310 SW 13th St., is offering simulations of world- famous bicycle races in its Virtual Tour de Shands event.

One participant at a time can ride a bicycle in front a television that shows actual course footage.

Participants may bring their own bicycles to lock into a frame or can use a bicycle provided at the center. A computer adjusts resistance depending on the course.

“It’s open to anyone, not just athletes,” said Jeff Plasschaert, director of the Virtual Tour de Shands event. “We just want to promote health and wellness through cycling.”

Amie Buehler, a 23-year-old applied physiology and kinesiology senior, had trouble with a 13-mile uphill stage of the simulation but she thinks practice will help.

“I ride my bike every day commuting, so when I first started it wasn’t hard,” she said, “but as the course went on, it got really hard.”

The machine is available to the public Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to noon at $10 per session. Calling in advance is recommended.

The event ends July 21, the same day the Tour de France concludes.