<p>After a long, hot day on campus, try this ice-cold blueberry-lavender lemonade recipe. For the freshest ingredients, check out the Union Street Farmers Market on Wednesdays in downtown Gainesville.</p>

After a long, hot day on campus, try this ice-cold blueberry-lavender lemonade recipe. For the freshest ingredients, check out the Union Street Farmers Market on Wednesdays in downtown Gainesville.

On a sweltering summer day in Gainesville, a tall glass of this blueberry-lavender lemonade is simultaneously tart, sweet and instantly refreshing.

Normally, lemonade is made with only three humble ingredients: sugar, water and freshly squeezed lemon juice (don’t even think about using Country Time). In this version, the water is infused with fresh lavender sprigs, and blueberry puree is added for a fruity kick.

Although it’s the end of August, there’s still time to enjoy a summer cocktail. So try adding a shot of gin or vodka to your glass. There’s nothing like an ice-cold glass of lemonade on a hot day!

Blueberry-Lavender Lemonade

(makes 1 pitcher)

Ingredients:

 2 cups sugar

 7 ½ cups water, divided

 1 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed (about 5 to 6 lemons)

 1 pint blueberries

 15 sprigs fresh lavender (1 small plant) and a few extra for garnish

Directions:

1. In a saucepan, boil 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water. Stir until the sugar dissolves.

2. Remove the mixture from the heat, add fresh lavender sprigs, and cover it. Let it seep for 30 minutes, then remove the sprigs from the saucepan and discard them.

3. In a bowl, crush the blueberries until they become a puree. You can also puree them in a blender or a food processor.

4. You can do this next step two ways: (1) Place the blueberry puree in a fine-mesh sieve positioned over a pitcher. Pour lavender-infused water through the sieve on top of the blueberry puree and into the pitcher. (2) Place the lavender-infused water and blueberry puree in a French press. Press down to create a very clear blueberry-lavender mixture.

5. Pour the lemon juice into a pitcher, followed by 5 1/2 cups of water. Tip: taste the lemonade between adding cups of water — some like it tart! You can also add more sugar or lemon juice at this step.

6. Stir well, and garnish with a sprig of lavender, floating blueberries, or a lemon slice on the edge of the glass. Enjoy!