Notebook: Pease talks quarterbacks, wide receivers

<p>Sixth-year senior wide receiver Andre Debose is set to start the season on Aug. 30 after missing all of 2013 due to a torn ACL.</p>

Sixth-year senior wide receiver Andre Debose is set to start the season on Aug. 30 after missing all of 2013 due to a torn ACL.

Ever since new offensive coordinator Brent Pease arrived at UF, Gators quarterbacks have had former Boise State signal-caller Kellen Moore on the brain.

In order to incorporate Florida's new offensive scheme, Jacoby Brissett and Jeff Driskel have studied the play of the former Heisman Trophy finalist in Pease's system.

"I'm sure they get tired of me showing Kellen Moore clips, talking about Kellen Moore," Pease said.

"There's a few different personalities in there, but they can grow from it and learn from it."

Moore became a star on the national scene during his time with the Broncos. He was a two-time All-American and became the first-ever FBS quarterback to win 50 games.

However, Pease acknowledges Moore did not instantly begin playing at an elite level when he first stepped on the blue turf at Bronco Stadium.

"We all remember Kellen for what he was his senior, junior year," Pease said.

"But as a freshman and sophomore, we limited him to what he was successful with. As a football coach, whatever the position is, you're not throwing kids out there to be unsuccessful. You've got to know what they can do and use their strengths."

Despite just a short time with the material, both Brissett and Driskel are excited and eager to put the offense into action. Driskel said the scheme "brought in new energy, new life."

With coach Will Muschamp yet to name a starter, it seems Brissett and Driskel are even in the quarterback battle so far. But no matter who starts for Florida against Bowling Green on Sept. 1, Brissett feels both he and Driskel can run Pease's offense efficiently and effectively.

"I feel like it fits both of our styles," Brissett said.

"Both of us can win a national championship with this offense, it just depends on how we play and how players around us play."

Hands off Hamdan: When former UF receivers coach Aubrey Hill resigned from his position last week, Muschamp promoted Bush Hamdan to the first FBS non-graduate assistant job of his coaching career.

While Muschamp said both Hamdan and Pease would work with the wide receivers this season, Pease will give Hamdan some breathing room.

"I'm not going to step in, because I believed in Aubrey when he was doing it and coach Hamdan now that heís doing it," Pease said. "He's been in the system. He knows what to expect."

However, Pease will not simply steer clear of the Gators pass-catchers. In fact, Pease said he would work with Hamdan to ensure the receivers understand the quarterbacksí situation in the backfield.

"[Hamdan]'s going to work with me, but I'm always going to spend some time with him, because I want the receivers to understand through the eyes of the quarterback what they have to deal with," Pease said.

The 2011 season was not a banner year for Florida wide receivers.

Former running back Chris Rainey led the Gators with 31 receptions on the season. Junior tight end Jordan Reed ranked second with 28 catches. And former wide receiver Deonte Thompson finished third with 21 grabs.

Junior Andre Debose, who caught 16 passes for 432 yards last season, is the leading returning receiver for UF this season.

Despite averaging just 1.33 catches per game, he led Florida with four receiving touchdowns in 2011.

Muschamp points to a loss of confidence as a reason for the minimal production put forth by UF wide receivers in his first season with the Gators.

"We struggled to protect, we struggled to get the ball downfield," Muschamp said.

"At times, we've got to create yards after the catch and some intermediate balls and short balls and we've got to be able to finish some plays down the field, which at times we did."

Hill's departure last week was not a welcome sign for a position group that underperformed last season.

However, Pease is confident that with his help and under the direction of Hamdan, the group can rebound and thrive in 2012.

In order to reach the desired level of production, Pease stressed the need for connection between the quarterbacks and the receivers.

"The guy pulling the trigger sometimes doesn't have all day," Pease said.

"There are bullets flying at him. [The receivers] got to understand the urgency in what he is seeing at times and not go out there and have the freedom to run a five-second route or anything."

Etc.: Pease described freshman quarterback Sklyer Mornhinweg as "a sharp kid," but he indicated that no decision had been made regarding a redshirt for the Philadelphia native. When discussing retention of his offense from spring practice, Pease described Reed and redshirt wide receiver Frankie Hammond as players that impressed him. In regards to training camp fights, Muschamp is not a fan. "I like to see guys competing and playing within what they need to do," he said. "I don't like it. If guys fight, I take them out. I don't know what you gain out of it."

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.