Saturday, July 27, 2024

On-campus dining offers a variety of options

It’s 6 p.m. You just woke up from a nap in your dorm room, and your stomach is screaming in hunger. The last thing you want to do is put an Easy Mac bowl in the common area’s sketchy microwave. It’s the first week of your freshman year, so you don’t know anything beyond the bounds of University Avenue or 13th Street.

On-campus dining it is, then.

As they say at Preview, there are plenty of dining options right on UF’s campus. It’s just a matter of what mood you’re in.

Rise and shine

For breakfast food, check out Einstein Bros. Bagels at the Hub for egg sandwiches, fresh juice and coffee. Starbucks brews all kinds of caffeine-packed specialty drinks at Library West, the Reitz Union and the Hub. For those who prefer a Clif bar or just orange juice to get going, try the convenience stores Beaty Market, Little Hall Express, Graham Oasis or a Chomp and Go store at Pugh or Hough Hall.

Sandwich station

No matter the combination of cheese, meat, veggies and condiments you like, there are plenty of places to pick up personalized sandwiches on campus. There’s a Quizno’s at the Hub. Subway is right across the way at Turlington Plaza and there’s another at the Reitz Union. Little Hall Express and Graham Oasis have Boar’s Head Delis. All have toasted-sub and flatbread options. For a twist on lunch, check out Moe’s Southwest Grill and Chili’s Too at the Racquet Club, next to the Student Rec Center.

Keepin’ it classy

Not all on-campus restaurants are mainstream or chains, though. For those seeking a classier entrée or atmosphere, try the Arredondo Café at the Reitz Union or the Harn Museum of Art’s Camellia Court Café. The Arredondo is a soup and salad bar with a great view of campus — an impressive choice for a first date. The Camellia Court Café is a quiet, tucked-away restaurant on the southwest edge of campus with healthier options than most on-campus places.

In ‘n’ out

Even if you don’t have a car on campus, there are plenty of drive-through restaurants in stationary places. The Reitz Union food court features Burger King, Papa John’s, Pollo Tropical, Panda Express and Starbucks. Jamba Juice serves up quick smoothies at Turlington Plaza. At Little Hall Express, pick up some Kentucky Fried Chicken or Starbucks iced coffee to go before class. The Hub dishes out Chick-fil-A and Starbucks at a central location to most lecture halls.