The Student Senate unanimously passed a resolution Tuesday that opposes raising roam towing charges in Gainesville.

Roam towing or trespassing rates are fees people pay when their cars are towed. The rates are regulated by the city, said Director of External Affairs Billy Vranish.

The resolution, which was authored by Vranish and Sen. Sydney Kaplan, asks the Gainesville City Commission to not raise the towing rate until more substantial evidence can justify it.

Rates are $76, and have been since 1997, according to the resolution. But this summer, towing companies petitioned to increase the rate to $100.

The City Commission’s Public Safety Committee has reviewed the petition and has reached a 2-to-1 vote recommending to raise the rate to $84, Vranish said after the meeting. The City Commission will vote on it Thursday.

“All we’re asking is the [towing companies] submit financial information,” Vranish said.

The Senate also unanimously passed a resolution supporting a Florida constitutional amendment that would replace the student representative on the Board of Governors with the chairman or chairwoman of the council of state university student body presidents.

Currently, the student representative is the chairman of the Florida Student Association.

Contact Samantha Shavell at sshavell@alligator.org.