Monday, April 29, 2024

This week in food: Yume Ume replaces Rolls n Bowls, Flashback Lounge hosts party, The Jones B-side opens

“Yume Umē “ means “yummy dreams” in Japanese. But for Gainesville residents, it means competition for restaurants like Bento and Sushi-to-Go.

The Yume Umē: Japanese Kitchen is set to open Saturday in the space in the University Towne Center Plaza that was once Rolls n Bowls at the intersection of Archer Road and 34th street, according to the press release.

The owners and management staff, who also own the upscale Dragonfly Sushi & Sake downtown, will not change. However, Yume Umē will feature a brand new menu that encourages complete customization and top-quality fresh, local and sustainable ingredients.

Protein options range from beef and chicken to tuna, salmon and tofu option.

In addition to Yume Umē’s debut, Flashbacks Lounge, 211 W. University Ave., is hosting a belated grand-opening party starting at 9 p.m. Saturday.

Although the cafe opened a while ago, the upstairs lounge is a new addition, and it is celebrating it with drink specials and the promise of a great night.

Also new this week, The Jones B-Side opened Tuesday at 203 SW Second Ave., in the space that once housed failed restaurants such as Shooting Star and Agave Blue.

Time will tell if the Jones will break the curse with its delicious local and sustainable food and its new patio and bar area.

One thing’s for certain: It’s a good week for food and drinks in Gainesville.