After quiet game, UF's Driskel looking for ways to improve

<p>Quarterback Jeff Driskel (6) is sacked by LSU linebacker Kevin Minter (46) during Florida’s 14-6 win on Saturday in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Driskel completed 8 of 12 passes for 61 yards. He finished with 1 yard rushing on 13 carries despite losing 43 yards on five sacks.&nbsp;</p>
<div><span><br /></span></div>

Quarterback Jeff Driskel (6) is sacked by LSU linebacker Kevin Minter (46) during Florida’s 14-6 win on Saturday in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Driskel completed 8 of 12 passes for 61 yards. He finished with 1 yard rushing on 13 carries despite losing 43 yards on five sacks. 

Florida defeated LSU on Saturday, and it did so despite minimal production from Jeff Driskel. He wasn’t satisfied with just getting the win.

“I had opportunities,” Driskel said, “and I didn’t take advantage.”

Driskel’s success was limited in the first half. He was sacked five times and completed 5 of 8 passes for 31 yards. The coaches shifted their focus to the ground game at halftime, amassing 34 carries for 160 yards while passing just four times in the second half.

Offensive coordinator Brent Pease said Driskel didn’t play poorly, but the sophomore signal caller expected more from himself.

“I don’t think he struggled,” Pease said. “Maybe he was getting a little frustrated. We knew that was going to happen. His maturity is improving every week.”

Driskel said the onus will fall on him and the receivers to move the ball if holes disappear in the run game.

“When you start hitting more runs, hitting more big plays, [the defense will] start coming up,” Driskel said. “When they start coming up, there’s more chances to hit it over their heads.”

Those chances haven’t been there often through five games. Florida is tied for 104th in the country in passing plays of 20 yards or more with 11. Both Frankie Hammond Jr.’s 50-yard touchdown against Bowling Green and his 75-yard touchdown in Florida’s win at Tennessee were on throws that traveled roughly 10 yards in the air.

Driskel has also struggled to get rid of the football when pressured.

Against Texas A&M in College Station, Texas, on Sept. 8, UF allowed a season-high eight sacks. Pease said only two were due to lapses in pass protection. Against LSU, Driskel held onto the ball too long on several occasions, including a crucial fumble near the end of the first half that led to a Tigers field goal.

Driskel was not sacked against Tennessee and took only three against Kentucky, but he said he needs to learn when to throw the ball away.

“There’s just times I could have gotten rid of the ball on time, and when I didn’t the window closed up, he looked like he was covered,” Driskel said. “When that happens you have to throw it away.”

Driskel said quickly getting the ball out of his hands is not the only key to success.

“We have to have better timing in the passing game,” he said. “The drops have to match up to the route, and I have to get rid of the ball on time instead of moving up a little bit or patting the ball a couple extra times.”

Driskel and Pease are confident the passing game will step up when needed, as is linebacker Jon Bostic.

“They’re making plays on us in practice, so we see they can throw the ball,” Bostic said.

Contact Josh Jurnovoy at jjurnovoy@alligator.org.