All Lovin’ No Oven: No-bake recipes

Last year, I lived the life. Not because I had my own bathroom or my own mini-fridge, though, it was a plus, but because I had an oven that allowed me to discover the joy of baking and my inner Betty Crocker.

Now for those of you who don’t bake, I’ve probably lost you or made you hungry for cake. However, you truly don’t know what it’s like until it’s gone.

Now because of different living arrangements, I’m forced to the cooking conditions of just me, a microwave and a loss of dignity.

Though, I’ve discovered a remedy. There are some no-bake items, mostly courtesy of Pinterest, that have filled my need for constantly having baked goods within an arm’s reach.

First, the panacea to all late-night snack cravings is puppy chow. All you need is a microwave, a box of Chex cereal, a bag of chocolate chips, half of a jar of peanut butter and one bag of powdered sugar.

Melt the chocolate and the peanut butter in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Then, get one of those huge gallon bags and pour the Chex in, alternating with the chocolate mixture to get it covered. Next, put in as much powdered sugar as you like and shake it up. Voila! A delicious snack that should last you for days (unless you’re me and eat it in one sitting).

There are recipes online for “no-bake pie” and “no-bake cheesecake.” But let’s be serious, you aren’t going to make a cheesecake in your dorm without raising a couple of red flags. It’s best to stick to snacks that you can munch on for a couple of days.

For a healthy snack, try “no-bake energy bites”. And if you have a campfire urge try no-bake s’mores. If movie theater knock-offs are more your thing, try this no-bake cookie dough bites recipe.

If you’re hoping to be the superstar at a potluck, try these no-bake “thumbprint cookies” by Sandra Lee. Banana pudding is a solid staple and paired with graham cracker crumbs it will have you running to the supermarket for more ingredients.

To get in the holiday season, try pumpkin pie dip. It’s delicious and it will give you a break from shoveling candy corn down your throat.

No-bake items are an art and have to be perfected by a series of trial and error. Next time you are at the grocery store, print out one of the recipes and give it a try. You could leave your countertops sticky for all eternity, or you could discover your new favorite food. Nonetheless, it is definitely worth it.