Adding some wine to recipes may be common practice, but why stop there? The next time you find yourself in the kitchen whipping up something to eat with friends, raid your beer fridge for an ingredient that helps add depth and an extra kick to your favorite fall and winter classics.

There are a couple important things to remember when you first start experimenting with beer in the kitchen:

Just as with any other liquid used in cooking, you are going to lose some or most of the liquid in the cooking process, which in turn magnifies the flavors. So, unless you want a bitter stew or a heavy tempura, be sure to carefully consider what style of beer you are adding to the recipe. Also, remember that recipes that call for longer cook times can reduce the aroma and flavors you want to get from adding beer, so time the addition of your favorite beer towards the end or beginning of the process based on how well it is going to stand up to high heat and the length of time cooking.

My main rule for cooking with beer is to never use a beer that you wouldn’t normally drink. When it comes time for everyone to dig into your dish, no one likes a surprise blast of spices; avoid unexpected flavors by tasting the beer beforehand and making sure it will blend well with the other ingredients.

Need a few starter recommendations before you try out a recipe tonight? Here are some of my go-to recipes that are perfect for warming up with a hearty dish and a tall pint.

Add your favorite pale ale to…

Chili, especially if you can get your hands on a chipotle-infused pale ale like Swamp Head Brewery’s Chipotle Stump Knocker. Add it into recipes like this one to have the best dish at your next tailgate.

Add your favorite amber ale to…

Chicken and Dumplings, just omit the heavy cream base like this does.

Beer Braised Chicken Tacos, like these beauties.

Add your favorite stout to…

Beef Stew, substitute the normal red wine and some of the beef stock with a reliable stout like Guinness or Swamp Head’s Midnight Oil Coffee Stout to bring the flavor up a notch. This recipe always works nicely.

Glazed Halibut, a Guinness-based glaze like the one found in this recipe will give the thick fish a rich flavor similar to molasses.

Add your favorite seasonal to…

Chocolate Chip Cookies, any milk stout will do. Try Terrapin Beer Company’s Moo-Hoo, or even add bacon and beer like this recipe does.

Cakes are also a great opportunity to use beer. Stouts, pale ales, seasonal; almost any style will do. This chocolate stout cake recipe from Epicurious was a huge hit at one of my holiday parties last year, so I will definitely be making it again this year.