Lance Armstrong steps down from Livestrong after doping scandal

An American cyclist’s controversial decision to step down from his position at the Livestrong Foundation sparked mixed reactions in Gainesville on Wednesday.

Lance Armstrong, accused of doping to win his seven Tour de France races, shocked many by vacating his chair in his own organization. The foundation dedicates itself to “empowering and inspiring people with cancer,” according to its website.

Armstrong was respected for his athleticism, but failed to uphold his achievements through the accusations of cheating held against him, said Team Florida Cycling president Dustin White.

“Everyone contests the sport of cycling is so hard and it truly is,” said the 21-year-old mechanical engineering senior. “He had to overcome immense personal battles, but any edge to overcome the challenges of the sport, any shortcut, is bad.”

White said he agreed with the athlete’s renunciation of his Livestrong affiliation.

Virginia Maurer, UF professor of business law and director of the Poe Center for Business Ethics, wrote in an email that Armstrong’s choice to walk away from Livestrong was “more than appropriate.”

A leader who has been disgraced for ethical or

legal reasons should step down from his or her position, she said, because it is better for the organization.

Leadership requires trust — especially when the group that leader is representing is a charity, Maurer said.

Brian Ray, UF lecturer for leadership and ethics and director of the Heavener School of Business, agreed.

His conclusion was Armstrong’s reputation was not as important as the mission of the foundation.

Dylan Wade, a cyclist with Tri-Gators for four years, said he believes Armstrong’s philanthropy should still be recognized regardless of the allegations against him.

“I don’t think he could’ve been a figurehead as far as the media’s concerned, but I don’t think he should just walk away,” said the 21-year-old psychology and criminology senior.

Fellow Tri-Gator and acting junior Ryan Oates, 22, said he’s skeptical of the accusations.

“To me, Lance Armstrong was a superhuman that people idolize like UF students idolize Tim Tebow,” he said. “But you don’t hear anyone accusing Tim Tebow of using steroids or the football doping equivalent.”