<p>Senior Isabelle Lendl chips a shot onto the green. Lendl finished tied for 32nd at the Bryan National Collegiate this weekend.</p>

Senior Isabelle Lendl chips a shot onto the green. Lendl finished tied for 32nd at the Bryan National Collegiate this weekend.

Through two tournaments, Florida's Emily Bastel has lived up to the hype.

The Gators women's golf coach, described as a "diamond in the rough" by athletics director Jeremy Foley, has not disappointed.

"She doesn't say things to fill the air," senior Isabelle Lendl said. "She isn't a diva, and she's not going to pretend that she has never hit a bad shot. She's a very good listener and communicator."

In the wake of Jan Dowling's resignation, Bastel has achieved a slew of notable results.

Three weeks removed from their season-opening win at the Cougar Classic in Charleston, S.C., the Gators have vaulted to No. 2 in the most recent World/WGCA Coachesí Poll, a seven-spot jump.

"It's definitely very gratifying to be able to make the decisions for the team and do what you think is best for the team and to build those relationships with the girls," Bastel said.

During her time as a player at Michigan State, Bastel's competitive nature fueled her success. She was a four-time All-Big Ten selection and earned All-America honors in 2002.

Bastel also played on the LPGA Tour from 2005-06 and in 2008, experiencing firsthand the level of focus needed to consistently compete at a high level.

"There is really no substitute for that competitive golf experience, and that translates into being able to speak to my players and lending my credibility," Bastel said.

"When they're on the golf course dealing with various emotions of being a player and what it takes, those are the things I can really relate to them on."

Bastel has taken a methodical approach on the fairways this season. Florida continues to make steady improvements with each tournament.

"When we went into the Cougar Classic we wanted to do a good job of worrying about ourselves, playing our own game, staying in the present and playing one shot at a time," Bastel said. "That was our philosophy then and it worked, so I think we are going to stick to that game plan throughout the whole year."

The Gators have just two tournaments remaining in the fall and will take the course today for the Tar Heel Invitational in Chapel Hill, N.C. The tournament is set to run through Sunday.