Sen. Bill Nelson visits UF to encourage voting, political balance

<p>Sen. Bill Nelson greets Kenny Heidegger, an 18-year-old political science freshman. Nelson held a discussion and a Q-and-A session at which students asked questions pertaining to the environment and how to urge the average voter away from bipartisanship.</p>

Sen. Bill Nelson greets Kenny Heidegger, an 18-year-old political science freshman. Nelson held a discussion and a Q-and-A session at which students asked questions pertaining to the environment and how to urge the average voter away from bipartisanship.

Florida Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson, who is up for re-election Nov. 6, spoke to about 30 people Wednesday in the Reitz Union about the upcoming election.

Nelson, 70, said new election laws are suppressing students’ votes. He said that for decades, people could register to vote and then, on the day of the election, change their addresses. But now, people need to show a government-issued ID with their voting address, or they will be issued a provisional ballot.

He said that in the 2008 election, half of those provisional ballots did not count in Florida.

Nelson encouraged everyone to vote early. He said registered voters in Alachua County can receive absentee ballots at the Supervisor of Elections office. Instead of mailing them in, people can vote on-site and turn ballots in until Saturday.

He said early voting starts Saturday and lasts for a week.

Nelson, who attended UF in the 1960s before transferring to Yale University, also spoke about student loans and the economy.

He said that coming out of the recession, students who have to pay back loans have their normal rates cut in half. He also said for certain high-demand occupations, student loans are basically forgiven, e.g., if a doctor moved to work in a rural area that didn’t have a doctor before.

Nelson said the state’s mentality is to “cut, cut, cut” scholarships, grants and other funding for education.

“This nonsense has got to stop,” he told the crowd.

Jenna Goldman, a 19-year-old political science sophomore, interned with Nelson’s office in Washington, D.C., this summer. Wednesday, she asked him how to reach across party lines and bring people together.

“We change policy by balance instead of bullets,” Nelson said.

He said the first step in doing so is the Nov. 6 election. He said he believes the American people are tired of political party divisions, and only pressure from constituents will lead to changes in Congress.

“We have to use common sense,” he said.

UF College Democrats President Billy Farrell said Gainesville was a stop on Nelson’s barnstorming tour through Florida.

“We wanted to help organize the event on behalf of his campaign,” said the 20-year-old environmental science junior.

UF Student Government Senator Brandon Laines said he thought the event was a great way for students to understand Nelson’s views.

“I do have an interest in public service, and Bill Nelson is a good testament of working for the people,” said the 19-year-old economics and mathematics sophomore.

Contact Samantha Shavell at sshavell@alligator.org.