UF linebackers benefiting from experience in system

<p><span>Senior linebacker Jon Bostic (1) runs down South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw during Florida’s 44-11 win on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Bostic was selected by the Chicago Bears in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft with the 50th overall pick.</span></p>

Senior linebacker Jon Bostic (1) runs down South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw during Florida’s 44-11 win on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Bostic was selected by the Chicago Bears in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft with the 50th overall pick.

Jon Bostic and Jelani Jenkins only needed to get comfortable.

Prior to 2011, Florida’s veteran linebackers had never played in the same system for more than one season.

“This is pretty much the first time we’re actually able to go into another year with the same defensive coordinator,” Bostic said. “Every year we’ve been running a new defense. This is the first year we’ve actually been able to stay in the same defense.”

When Bostic and Jenkins first arrived on campus in 2009, Charlie Strong was the defensive coordinator. He left to take the head coaching job at Louisville the following season. 

Strong was replaced by Teryl Austin, who left after one season when Urban Meyer stepped down.

Will Muschamp was hired to replace Meyer, and he brought Dan Quinn aboard as the new defensive coordinator. Under Quinn, the unit finished eighth in the country in total defense in 2011. Bostic said remaining in the same scheme has allowed the linebackers to better address the few issues they had last season.

“(We’re) able to improve and take things from last year,” Bostic said. 

Muschamp said he has seen Bostic make significant strides. 

“Bostic is playing as well as any linebacker in the country,” Muschamp said. “He’s playing really well, and he disengages on blocks. All the things we really presented to him last season of getting stronger, getting firmer with his hands in short-area contact where he’s got to get off blocks and shed.”

The linebackers have not only improved individually, but as a unit. Jenkins missed two games earlier in the season due to a fractured thumb and said the unit is more cohesive when the entire group is healthy.

“Me and Bostic being out there, and even Mike Taylor and Antonio (Morrison), I think we all do a good job of communicating,” Jenkins said. “When we’re able to communicate and know what each other are doing every play, it makes it a lot easier. Because sometimes we’re moving fast and sometimes we forget.”

Bostic and Muschamp cited improved depth in the group as an area of improvement. Neiron Ball, who missed all of 2011 while recovering from a congenital condition, has seen significant time at Sam linebacker. Ball and backup Darrin Kitchens have combined for 17 tackles, including one and a half for a loss. True freshman Morrison filled in at the Will spot in Jenkins’ absence. 

Bostic said he sees his less-experienced teammates getting better as the season progresses.

“Mike, and Antonio coming in as a freshman, both of those guys bring something different to the table and (are) only going to get better,” Bostic said. “Each and every week, they’re learning from the mistakes that I make or Jelani makes. … They’re learning as they go and it’s only going to help them.”

Contact Josh Jurnovoy at jjurnovoy@alligator.org.