The Art in Public Places Trust is on the lookout for artists.

The trust, a group of citizens chosen by the city and county commissions to pick art for public projects, is taking artists’ applications to create artwork on parts of the soon-to-be Gainesville Police headquarters.

The installations will be a part of the headquarters on Northwest Eighth Avenue and Northwest Sixth Street, said Laura NeSmith, the chairman of Art in Public Places.

According to the press release, construction and renovation on a new 42,500-square-foot facility will begin in January.

The trust is looking for artists for two projects, said Russell Etling, a cultural affairs programs coordinator for the City of Gainesville.

The interior of the building has a budget up to $30,000. The piece on the outside is budgeted up to $50,000.

More information can be found under the “Call to Artists” link on the Division of Cultural Affairs website.

For the inside, Etling said the piece would be themed toward the relationship of law enforcement and the community.

He said the outside should be themed as a memorial to law enforcement officers who have died in the line of duty.

The trust is planning to work with three members of GPD including Cpt. Lonnie Scott and Chief Tony Jones, and citizens to decide on some of the final pieces, NeSmith said.

“We try to appeal to the public and use the most public space we can find so the public can see and enjoy the art,” she said.

Contact Alex Catalano at acatalano@alligator.org.