Exhibit displays neglected, abused animals in Puerto Rico

Graphic photos and stories about neglected and abused dogs and cats in Puerto Rico were displayed Tuesday on Turlington Plaza as part of UF’s Puerto Rican Student Association’s exhibit.

Organization President Carlos Lloveras-Fuentes wore an “I love Satos” shirt, which translates to “I love street dogs,” as he told people about the conditions in which many stray animals live.

“Over 500,000 stray pets roam the streets of the island,” the 21-year-old animal science senior said. “The grassroots companies that take the animals barely have any room and money for them.”

He said the organization’s goal is to educate people in Gainesville and motivate them to donate money to the few shelters and animal rescue organizations on the island.

Lloveras-Fuentes said he was hesitant to launch the exhibit at first, because he wasn’t sure people in Gainesville would help.

“I realized dogs don’t have a voice, or race or political affiliation,” he said. “They need a voice and need someone to speak out for them.”

Rachel Werk, a 19-year-old English sophomore, said she couldn’t help but glance at the photos as she passed through Turlington.

“They’re so graphic, and it’s so sad to really look at the pictures,” she said. “I had no idea this issue was so large-scale in Puerto Rico.”

Lloveras-Fuentes said he sees stray dogs hurt, unhealthy and skinny in the streets when he goes to Puerto Rico, his home.

“Litters of dogs with moms walk on the side of the roads, and I’ve seen dogs running scared in between cars on the highways,” he said. “We will make it our priority to educate and raise awareness of the issue.”

The exhibition will be on display again today on Turlington Plaza and Thursday outside the Reitz Union.