Family Flicks: What to stock for the perfect family collection

Thanksgiving is around the corner. If you’re not planning to watch football on TV, then you should sit on the couch with your family and/or friends to enjoy a movie after dinner.

I always feel relaxed watching movies with my family. But be careful of what you pick because you have to find something perfect for parents and kids. Here are some suggestions to add to your family movies DVD collection. They are all heart warming and loving. And they remind us of things we should be thankful for.

“We Bought a Zoo”

It is based on a memoir written by Benjamin Mee, who is portrayed by Matt Damon in the movie. The story is about a widowed father with two children who is struggling to start over by maintaining the zoo he bought. The conflict between expectation and reality reminds the viewer how hard life could be. Of course, it is a happy-ending movie, since families conquer anything. Similar movies include “Everyone’s Fine” and “Finding Neverland,” which all touch on the topic of how families bond through difficulties.

“Kung Fu Panda 2”

If you and your families are interested in Kung Fu and panda, then “Kung Fu Panda 2” will be a terrific movie to check out. It tells a story of how Po the panda finds his inner peace by tracing down his origins. Knowing that his parents loved him truly and deeply arms him with the courage to fight with the enemy Lord Shen.

Animation is the safest choice for a family flick. Searching for high-rated family movies on IMDb, you will find that most of them are animations. Other recommendations in this category are the “Madagascar: Escape 2 Europe,” “Toy Story,” “Finding Nemo,” “The Incredibles” and “Lion King.”

“Hachi: A Dog’s Tale”

Dog movies are also a good fit for family get-togethers. Personally, I am easily touched by almost any dog movie. “Hachi: A Dog’s Tale” is a true story about Hachi, an extremely loyal dog. The dog waited for his deceased owner for nine years in the same spot after his death. The spot was now marked with bronze paw prints and became a tourist site. I still remembered the time when I watched this movie with my family. We all shed tears for this incredibly loyal dog. If you are looking for a tear jerker, dog movies like “Hachi: A Dog’s Tale,” “Quill: The Life of a Guide Dog” or “Marley & Me” are some good options.