<p>Students ride the Later Gator C on Thursday from Midtown to Jefferson 2nd Avenue. The Later Gator C runs every 25 minutes from Thursday to Saturday.</p>

Students ride the Later Gator C on Thursday from Midtown to Jefferson 2nd Avenue. The Later Gator C runs every 25 minutes from Thursday to Saturday.

Students who ask the Later Gator’s bus drivers to turn up the temperature this winter can expect the cold shoulder.

The Regional Transit System bus service that routinely transports people to and from Midtown and downtown will continue to keep its air conditioning on at 65 degrees in the colder months.

“In the evenings, even in the winter time, drivers will not run the heat,” said Chip Skinner, RTS marketing and communications supervisor. “The cold has a calming effect and psychologically reduces conflicts and illnesses related to heavy consumption of alcohol.”

He said drivers normally have the air conditioning on at night because the cold reduces the gag reflex.

Skinner said the heating and cooling system only has two settings: on or off.

Students notice the bone-chilling temperature when they step on the bus.

“The last time I rode the Later Gator I was freezing,” said Lauren Baker, 18, animal science freshman. “I was with my friend, and we were both just wearing tank top dresses and wedges.”

Skinner said RTS gets a few calls every year complaining about the temperature. He offered advice for riders braving a cold bus.

“Dress appropriately,” Skinner said. “Even in the summer months, take a lightweight jacket or sweater with you so you can be comfortable aboard the bus.”