<p>Gainesville punk rockers Hot Water Music will be playing a hometown show at Element Nite Club, formerly the Florida Theater, on Jan. 18. The band’s headlining tour is in support of their first studio album in eight years, “Exister.” The Menzingers and La Dispute are the band’s opening acts.</p>

Gainesville punk rockers Hot Water Music will be playing a hometown show at Element Nite Club, formerly the Florida Theater, on Jan. 18. The band’s headlining tour is in support of their first studio album in eight years, “Exister.” The Menzingers and La Dispute are the band’s opening acts.

Punk rock legend Hot Water Music has remained an integral part of Gainesville’s musical DNA since its inception nearly two decades ago.

With its first studio album release in eight years, the band will return to its old stomping grounds at the Florida Theater on Jan. 18 at 8 p.m., with openers The Menzingers and La Dispute.

This show marks the third stop on the quartet’s tour, following the release of “Exister,” in May.

Singer and guitarist Chris Wollard said that after six months of opening gigs and festivals, a headlining run gives the band more creative freedom.

“It was really important not only to play in the South, but we really wanted to start the tour here in Florida,” he said.

Headlining the tour also gives the band greater flexibility when it comes to preparing the set list, including new material, Hot Water Music classics and the possibility of playing songs they haven’t played in several years.

Wollard described the recording process as easier than past records, in which the band toured for 200 days and went straight into writing and recording on a regimented three-month schedule.

“We just eased ourselves back into the groove,” Wollard said. “The more we did, the more we were enjoying it. It didn’t seem like something we had to do — it seemed like something we wanted to do.”

Living in Gainesville for many years, Wollard, 37, is no stranger to the local music scene.

“I’ve been around the world, and I still love it here,” he said. “I still love the community. I love that No Idea is still putting out records and supporting the scene. There are still people doing local shows. It’s the thing that keeps me here.”

The band will release “Live in Chicago,” a triple LP/double CD and DVD, Tuesday. The album documents the band’s performance at the Metro in Chicago on Feb. 1 to 2, 2008.

Tickets for the show are available for $17 at www.ticketweb.com. Tickets can also be purchased at Hear Again Music and Movies, and Arrow’s Aim Records.