Monday, April 29, 2024
<p>UF President Bernie Machen addresses students at the convocation of the Innovation Academy in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom on Friday.</p>

UF President Bernie Machen addresses students at the convocation of the Innovation Academy in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom on Friday.

As classes start, a group of about 330 UF students will not only step into their first college classrooms ever, they will make history for themselves and their school.

As part of a new program to boost enrollment and integrate entrepreneurship into traditional coursework, Innovation Academy students will take on-campus classes Spring through Summer and enjoy “summer break” during the Fall semester, when they can take online courses, study abroad or do internships.

Students in the program can choose from seven colleges and about 29 majors — ranging from plant science to political science — but will all complete a base curriculum, which focuses on innovation and creativity skills that apply in every field.

In UF President Bernie Machen’s Friday morning address to welcome the Innovation Academy Class of 2016 to campus, he praised students for their participation in an unprecedented program.

He said Innovation Academy is a wise choice for students because it addresses the student debt problem. It offers flexible scholarship payment options and leverages the rising popularity of online education. It also makes room for qualified students to attend UF who otherwise would have been turned away because of limited Fall classroom space, he said.

Many of the classes offered teach entrepreneurial skills to encourage students to start their own companies or be more innovative in their fields. The program allows students to dedicate their entire Fall semester to gaining experience, at a time when most students their age can’t because they are in classes.

However, students have complained that when they applied to UF, they had an option to say whether they were interested in the Innovation Academy.

Many who selected “yes” said they felt they were then automatically placed in the program without actually wanting to be in it.

Jessie White, 25, the student resource specialist graduate assistant for the program, said that was not the case. Each student chose to be there.

“There were a few challenges when building the program, and we are addressing each one,” White said. “The main challenge is getting the students to understand the program and the Spring/Summer schedule.”

Another complaint among students is that there are not many majors or colleges to choose from. White said they are working on adding more majors for future classes.

A further concern is that students can’t participate in many of the Fall activities, the major one of those being football. However, White says that is not true.

“That is actually a misconception. After their first semester as a student, Innovation Academy students can come to football games,” she said. In Fall 2013, all of these students can attend the games with a valid student ID and ticket.

Innovation Academy students were not eligible to participate in this past season’s student ticket lottery because they weren’t registered students until this Spring.

Despite some students’ complaints, there are many who want to be in the program or who look forward to its benefits.

“I chose the Innovation Academy because it’s different,” said 19-year-old anthropology freshman Marielis Nieves. “It offered me opportunities other students don’t get, like during the Fall, I can do internships or study abroad.”

Many parents are also excited their students are participating in the program.

Arlene Nieves, 45, and Henry Nieves, 47, are particularly proud of their daughter, Marielis, who will be one of the first students to ever graduate from this program. Arlene Nieves, a

Georgia Bulldogs fan, is even becoming a Gator for her daughter.

“After all,” she said, “she is making history.”