<p>UF student Shelley Greenspan interned at the White House. She worked in the Department of Presidential Personnel on the National Security team.</p>

UF student Shelley Greenspan interned at the White House. She worked in the Department of Presidential Personnel on the National Security team.

After her first day of her Fall internship, UF senior Shelley Greenspan got to experience what most people only see on TV.

The 22-year-old political science and public relations student got a tour of the West Wing.

“While to many working there it becomes norm to casually stroll through the historic halls, I was taken aback,” she wrote in an email. “Embarrassingly, I started to cry, because I was so overwhelmed at the moment.”

Greenspan was one of about 100 people who interned at the White House during Fall 2012. As an intern, she was in the Department of Presidential Personnel on the National Security team. She conducted records checks and legal research for presidential and political appointees at the departments of State, Defense, Homeland Security and Veteran’s Affairs, among others.

As part of the internship, Greenspan got to listen to Vice President Joe Biden. She said she was blown away by his “humility and candor.”

“I remember he said ‘I know what it’s like to look someone in the eye who isn’t able to provide for their family . . . and that’s why we’re in this,’” she wrote. “And yes, he’s as funny and charismatic in person as he seems on TV.”

This wasn’t Greenspan’s first internship in D.C. During Summer 2010, she interned for Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

“Greenspan’s passion for politics and enthusiasm to learn is infectious to anyone around her and reflects tremendously in the work she performs,” said Gator alumna Stacy Eichner, 22.

Greenspan said this experience restored her faith in the government.

“I’m sure many of us became discouraged from things we saw on TV during the election, and this internship really just confirmed my decision to pursue a career in public service,” she said.

But she will always remember the moment she spent with the First Dog. When she was giving a tour of the East Wing, Bo came running and brushed up beside her.

“Of course after the internship, I bought my own stuffed animal version,” Greenspan said.

Contact Samantha Shavell at sshavell@alligator.org.