Florida, Gainesville draw tons of tourists

Larry Glines knows the way to Florida well. The 19-year-old UF physics freshman, born and raised in Las Vegas, made the trip to Florida with his family frequently, visiting Gainesville before attending UF.

He was just one of the millions of visitors who flock to the Sunshine State each year.

A record 89.3 million visitors came to Florida in 2012, breaking the 2011 record by about two million, according to a Visit Florida press release.

This increase can also be seen in Gainesville. John Pricher, assistant director of Visit Gainesville, said UF accounts for most of the visitors to Gainesville, especially during football season and graduation.

In 2012, about 1,765,000 people stayed in Alachua County hotel rooms, an increase of more than 3 percent from 2011, according to Smith Travel Research.

As Florida’s tourism numbers continue to increase, some believe 2013 will be another record-breaking year.

“Obviously the past is a good predictor of the future, and considering that Florida continues to grow, I don’t see why it wouldn’t,” said Jordan Meyer, director of communications and marketing at the Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce.

Glines said he’s glad to be staying in Florida for longer than just a visit.

“I like the people, and I kind of like the rain because I come from the desert,” he said.