The 10 most overused phrases

For the Lolz is a humor blog. It's a sarcastic take on the world around us. Please read the posts in this section with a light heart and eager smile.

The English language contains over 150,000 words, but for some reason people tend to use a few of them way more often than necessary. To help fix this problem I have constructed a list of the 10 most overused phrases and provided you with several new phrase ideas.

10. "Awesome"

Intended meaning: Used to indicate actual approval or appreciation of something.

Example: Kissing you was awesome once you realized that you shouldn't be using your teeth.

Replacements: pleasurable, gnarly, awe-inspiring

9. "It is what it is"

Intended meaning: To express disapproval about the way that something is and lack of inspiration to do anything about the situation.

Example: Because I don't often shower or exercise, Bertha is probably the most attractive girl that would ever date me, but it is what it is.

Replacements: maybe things will be different in my next life, it could probably be worse, this looks like shit

8. "Cougar"

Intended meaning: An attractive middle aged or older woman. Also known as a "MILF."

Example: That lady is very attractive considering her age, or maybe I just have an Oedipus complex. Either way, she is definitely a cougar.

Replacements: barn owl, leather hided fox, cat lady

7. "Literally"

Intended meaning: Used to express slight exaggeration

Example: "Marley and Me" was so sad that I literally cried an ocean, built a boat out of salt and sailed over the edge of the world into the dark abyss.

Replacements: metaphorically, in a way, hyperbolically

6. "Fiscal cliff"

Intended Meaning: The impending financial crisis that we will delay as long as possible.

Example: I guess with the Mayan Apocalypse coming we don't have to worry about the fiscal cliff.

Replacements: the money guillotine, centsless economic violence

5. "Sure"

Intended Meaning: Used to indicate indecision.

Example: Sure, I made the right decision when choosing majors.

Replacements: I guess so, I agree with whatever it is you agree with, undoubtedly

4. "Cutting edge"

Intended Meaning: Used to describe something as the newest technology/innovations available and to warn of a potential safety hazard.

Example: Now my phone is so thin I can use it to slice vegetables. One could say that its cutting edge technology.

Replacement: Suicidal innovation

3. "Superfood"

Intended Meaning: A food that will give you very minor super powers such as the ability to live longer and digest better. Often thought to be a gift from a higher power.

Example: Greek Yogurt is a superfood because it is high in protein, low in saturated fat and has magical bacteria.

Replacements: Zeus fruit, low-fat, Deitylicious,

2. "Spoiler Alert"

Intended meaning: Typically used to warn somebody that you are about to ruin something while also indicating that you will not give them any time to stop you from doing so.

Example: Spoiler alert, you were adopted.

Replacement: Here comes the boom

1. " Bro"

Intended meaning: 1) An abbreviation of the word brother. 2) Anyone that regularly uses the word "bro."

Example: Last night, I met this awesome girl that I first looked at and was like, "It is what it is," but then I realized she was a cougar and I literally went off the fiscal cliff. I'm pretty sure she was a chef with cutting edge technology because she had a whole purse full of superfoods. Spoiler alert, she robbed our house, bro.

Replacement: dong, tallywhacker, drizzler (obviously because they rain on everyone's parade)