"The Vagina Monologues" begins at the Hippodrome

When I hear that there were open auditions for a local production of the Vagina Monologues, I jumped at the opportunity. I walked into a room with a table laid out with copies of various monologues taken from Eve Ensler’s interviews with more than 200 women. I chose to read "Because He Liked to Look At It" and as I went through my audition, I felt empowered.

I was not selected to join the cast, but I will always remember how liberated I felt during my audition. I am excited to see "The Vagina Monologues" next week at the Hippodrome Theatre next week and you should be too.

This will be a benefit production in support of V-Day, the global movement to end violence against women and girls started by playwright Eve Ensler. The Community of Gainesville VDAY Campaign is partnering with One Billion Rising to sponsor the production in order to raise funds for Peaceful Paths, a local domestic abuse shelter and advocacy center.

“The show is important because it makes you cry and giggle, but most importantly, it makes you feel a little uncomfortable,” said Amber Paoloemillo, a UF student who is reading a piece in the production. “It redefines and challenges what we've come to know about a women's body, and it makes the audience reevaluate these norms.”

The show plays at the Hippodrome Theatre Feb. 11, 12, and 14 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $25, which includes a pre-show V-Day Art Soiree in the Hippodrome Gallery from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. $20 of the ticket price will be donated to Peaceful Paths.