First, let’s talk about what not to do for Valentine’s Day.

Dinner and a movie: Seriously? What could possibly demonstrate that you have no creativity or courage more than that? Besides, you’ll have to wait two hours to get a table for two at any half-decent restaurant. You’ll both be hungry and irritable by the time you get seated. And how does sitting in a dark room while lights and sounds barrage your sense count as spending time together?

Chocolates and a teddy bear: Don’t do it. Unless you’re buying them for your little sister — just don’t. No grown man or woman needs a teddy bear, and some folks are still clinging to that New Year’s Resolution from less than two months ago. Also, it sends the message that, as an afterthought, you ran into the nearest drugstore on your way over.

You get the picture.

Now, let’s get a little creative.

You and your date are on the adventurous side. How about a trip to Gainesville Rock Gym? Prove that you’re trustworthy and dependable when your date is 30 feet above the ground, and you hold his or her life in your hands.

For the true romantics out there, try to write a song or a poem. It’s a risky one, of course. It could be really embarrassing, or it could be the “Say Anything” moment that sticks with him or her for life.

For the outdoorsy couple, go on a camping trip. I know it’s February, but this is Florida. It’s really not that cold. Besides, sipping hot chocolate next to the campfire and snuggling in a thermal sleeping blanket under the stars is one of the most sickeningly adorable ideas ever. If your date doesn’t think so, find a new date.

Instead of a restaurant dinner, cook something nice. If you’ve tried and you know that you just cannot cook a decent meal, pack a picnic, even if you’re staying in. Better yet, make it a do-it-yourself picnic and all you need is bread (something nice, maybe from Uppercrust Productions), cheeses, meat, maybe even a few sliced veggies and a couple of pieces of fruit. Add a bottle of wine or a nice craft beer to make it fancy. Of course you can modify this to your dietary preferences. (Also, try to prove that you know what your date likes!) It’s definitely more thoughtful and fun than going to a busy restaurant.