The rate of sexually transmitted diseases in Alachua County is alarmingly high, but organizations are putting forth extra efforts next month to spread awareness and reduce local infection rates.

Rebecca Tanner, a health educator at the Alachua County Department of Health, said the county ranks fourth in number of STDs statewide.

The department of health is working on developing outreach programs that will target screenings and educational activities about STDs to areas in the community with high rates, she said.

A big problem in the county is with bacterial infections, she said. Some infections monitored by the state include syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhea. These STDs go unnoticed because often there are no symptoms, Tanner said.

From 2008 to 2012, women accounted for 68 percent of chlamydia and gonorrhea cases, according to data from the Florida Department of Health.

Tanner attributed the disparity to women being tested more often than men.

“A lot of men just don’t get tested as frequently. They don’t have a reason to get tested unless their partner tells them ‘look, I have something,’ or something starts burning or hurting,” she said. “If you’re having sex, especially sex without a condom, you’ve got to get tested regularly.”

Victoria Joyal, a 22-year-old UF computer engineering senior and vice president of VOX: Voices for Planned Parenthood, said the organization is celebrating STD awareness month with the GYT campaign: Get Yourself Tested.

The campaign — which partners with MTV, the CDC and other health organizations — started Monday with tabling on the Reitz Union Colonnade. For the kickoff session of GYT, VOX partnered with GatorWell Health Promotion Services to offer free HIV testing.

Amanda, a 19-year-old UF accounting sophomore, said although she often sees Planned Parenthood tabling around campus, she had no idea STD Awareness Month existed. But she supports getting tested.

“You should know if you have something so you can avoid spreading it to others,” Amanda said.