Puppy power: Dog training helps inmates

Marcus Henry changed his life more than a year ago.

In the process, he’s also changed the lives of six dogs, including his most recent four-legged companion, Newton, a Chihuahua.

As one of six inmates in the Gainesville Work Camp enrolled in Paws on Parole, Henry, 41, has had the opportunity to train dogs from the Alachua County Animal Shelter.

On March 1, the program graduated its 150th dog.

Each eight-week training period is a themed academy.The current session consists of Academy 26: NCIS (Newest Canines in Service).

Newton and his former classmates are graduates of Academy 25: Pawpular Science.

Henry said working with the dogs has given him a sense of accomplishment.

“As I’m training this dog to be a good citizen and everything, he’s training me in return as a good citizen,” he said. “So, we both have a future.”

In addition, Alachua County Animal Services and the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office partnered this session to begin a new sister program, Paws on Parole Unleashed, which started earlier this month to include female inmates at the Alachua County Jail.

Each dog in Paws on Parole learns the basic skills required to pass the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen Test. During every graduation ceremony, the adopting families see the dogs conduct the test with their handlers before they take them home.

Hilary Hynes, public education program coordinator for Alachua County Animal Services, said the program helps families continue the development of their new dog after it graduates.

“A lot of people need that little bit of a leg up on training,” she said. “So, this is the start.”

Louis Howard, a 36-year-old inmate, said he became a trainer 18 months ago, after a friend in the program encouraged him. He tried it out and stuck with it.

“For us, as inmates, it just helps us better ourselves,” he said. “No telling, we might get out and have the opportunity to train dogs so that we can make an honest living.”