Florida Quidditch team gears up for weekend’s World Cup

<p>Margaret Egeln, a 19-year-old UF biology freshman, attempts a shot during the Florida Quidditch team practice Saturday on Flavet Field. The Florida Quidditch team will head to Kissimmee this weekend to participate in the sixth annual World Cup.</p>

Margaret Egeln, a 19-year-old UF biology freshman, attempts a shot during the Florida Quidditch team practice Saturday on Flavet Field. The Florida Quidditch team will head to Kissimmee this weekend to participate in the sixth annual World Cup.

The Florida Quidditch team will pick up its broomsticks this weekend to compete in the International Quidditch Association’s sixth annual World Cup.

The team plays the Muggle version of Quidditch, the magical game made popular by J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter book series, with dodgeballs, volleyballs and PVC pipes.

“As Quidditch goes, it gets more and more sporty,” said Emily Troilo, a 21-year-old UF English junior and the team’s vice president. “But as it continues, the [Harry Potter] culture grows.”

And the culture will continue to grow at the World Cup on Saturday and Sunday at Austin-Tindall Park in Kissimmee.

Eighty teams from 22 states and four countries, including the United States, Mexico, Canada and France, will compete, said Alex Benepe, commissioner and chairman of the International Quidditch Association.

Seven players from each team compete at a time — three chasers, two beaters, one keeper and one seeker, and the games at the World Cup will be played on Muggle-designed equipment, including brooms instead of the team’s PVC pipes, Troilo said.

Because the Florida Quidditch team placed third out of 14 teams during regionals, the team — of 21 rostered players — is ranked Division 1.

On the first day, the team plays four schools. If it advances to the second day, it could play up to 10 games.

“Day two is going to be harder for everyone,” said Tim Derrick, a 20-year-old UF classics junior and one of the team’s non-player coaches. “But I’m feeling extremely confident — this is one of the best teams in Florida.”

Team President Zach Thorne couldn’t agree more.

“Although there’s a nervousness, it’s the good kind. It’s an electric atmosphere. You can’t beat it,” said the 21-year-old UF classical studies junior. “This team, we didn’t have much cohesion before, but we’re like family now.”

Contact Sarah Kinonen at skinonen@alligator.org.