Forget the carnival games and the bounce houses.

Forget the fact that Albert and Alberta stopped by to cheer on the Gator faithful.

Patrons young and old came out to the Miles of Smiles fundraiser to see Magic and Catherine, the two American miniature horse stars from Gentle Carousel Miniature Therapy Horses.

From noon to 2 p.m. Saturday, the two horses took pictures with about 100 people who attended the fundraising event at 7575 W. University Ave.

Local dentists Brian Decker and Ann Pomeranz came up with the idea to provide free dental procedures and raise money for Gentle Carousel, which will make the trip up to Newtown, Conn., today. Gentle Carousel had traveled to Newtown before to provide the community a therapy outlet after the Sandy Hook tragedy.

Decker has been friends with Gentle Carousel’s founder, Jorge Garcia-Bengochea, since their days at Buchholz High School. Decker said they raised about $5,000.

“He represents one amazing thing about this community,” he said.

The organization, headquartered in Alachua County, is a volunteer nonprofit charity that visits about 20,000 adults and children each year inside hospitals, hospice programs and assisted living programs. The team of 22 horses also takes turns visiting adults and children with disabilities, and at-risk and abused children.

Debbie Garcia-Bengochea, 54, helps run Gentle Carousel with her husband. She said she’s excited about the long trip they have in front of them. Along the way, they will make stops at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., and Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn.

On this trip, Magic and Catherine will take the lead in the team of horses, stopping every once in a while to rest and relax before appearing at public events.

“We want these horses to live a natural life,” Debbie Garcia-Bengochea said, “but they love what they do.”

Decker and Pomeranz said they plan on holding another fundraiser next year to continue supporting Gentle Carousel.

“You hear the stories they come back with, and they bring tears to your eyes instantly,” Pomeranz said.